Running a poll for your friends and followers on Facebook is a great way to help make decisions, spot-check opinions, and create some debate. We run polls all the time here on Android Authority and on Facebook, and want to share how it’s done. There are three major different ways, so let’s take a look!
How to create a personal poll on Facebook
If you want to poll your pals, it’s not possible the way you might expect. You can’t do it via your timeline or News Feed.
That makes the only possibility to post a poll on a personal page, at the moment, is via a Facebook Story. You can ask questions, customize the suggested answers, and then unleash the people to vote for their favorite option, but only in a Facebook Story.
This means you can only do it via the Facebook app on Android and iOS. It takes about five steps:
- Open the Facebook app and select your Profile.
- Click Add to Story.
- Swipe across at the top to Poll (📊).
- You’ll be given a prompt: ‘Ask a question…’ with Yes / No answers. Tap on each to customize.
- Once you’re happy, hit Share to Story.
While you don’t need a photo or video to go with your poll, if you don’t select one, you’ll get a colorful background, like the above.
Once the story with the poll is live, you’ll see your friends interact with it, with instant results available to everyone who votes, and you of course.
How to create a group poll
If you’re wondering how do I create a poll in a Facebook group, that is possible from your group News Feed, from a desktop computer and on the Facebook mobile app on Android or iOS.
It takes about four steps to create a Facebook poll in a group:
- Open the Facebook app and click Groups in the left menu.
- Then select a Group, and get started by clicking Write something.
- You should see Poll (📊) in the dropdown: click it, fill in your questions and answers.
- Then make a final decision before posting: Allow anyone to add options or Allow people to choose multiple options. It all depends on what feedback you’re looking for. Once you’re happy, hit post.
Your poll will be live and everyone will be able to see the results, so enjoy!
How to create a poll on a Facebook page
If you run a business or other page, you can also post polls on it.
The process is a little more robust: you’ll first need to be an admin or editor of the page, then again start by clicking Write a post….
Next, click the three dots (…) then select Poll, type questions and up to 25 answers, add images or gifs. Choose to post now, save a draft, or schedule it, and you can also decide how long the poll will run.
That’s it! Facebook polls for you and your friends, polls for your groups, and polls if you happen to run a page.